We have been learning about Care Packages. We know some of the useful products that were sent to the soldiers to cheer them up and to help them have something appetizing to eat.
Include a mixture of items as:
- - personal hygiene items such as toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, shaving cream, razor blades, razor;
- - reading material such as magazines, paperback books, hometown newspapers, joke books;
- - mind challenging items such as puzzles, crosswords, riddles, deck of playing cards;
- - hard candy (something that won't melt)
- - chewing gum
- - combs;
- - homemade cookies;
- - notepads, pencils that have erasers, non-mechanical pencil sharpeners;
This is what we learnt about the school children at the time. They learnt to knit so they could make small articles of clothing to send to the troops i.e finger less gloves and socks.
Here are some pictures of the school children in 1915 knitting and sewing for the troops overseas. They might of sent their works to a friend of the family or a family member or a soldier that they knew was feeling lonely.